The Time Budget



Do you ever feel like Willie Wonka in Willie Wonka in the Chocolate Factory? “So much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.”

At the beginning of this year, I was overwhelmed with some commitment nearly every evening, which is when I do much of my writing. Each day had its own specific “to-dos,” but I found myself letting my writing slide as I prioritized tasks that involved other people.

I’ll admit, it left me feeling guilty, especially considering my recent post on keeping disciplined. It left me wondering how to juggle commitments with writing and wondering how to decide which writing projects to put first.

And then I had an idea.

One of my evening commitments was taking a financial course. One of the assignments was to begin and stick to a budget. I’m a nerd, so I found that fun. Let me say this: a weird thing about a budget is that you suddenly feel like you have extra money. Once you see what you have and where it’s going, you often have some extra left over to throw at whatever you want, particularly debts.

I discovered that I could take those principles and apply them to time and writing. Yep. It’s a Time Budget. Not a schedule.

A schedule plans each hour or half-hour of every day, and you slot projects into that. The Time Budget lines out your projects. You decide which ones get priority, in which order—preferably whichever one has the closest deadline. And then, time becomes money. ;) Each task gets an allotted amount of time per day. Spend only the minimum time on all the assignments except your highest priority one. Or maybe focus on that one alone. Throw every bit of spare time toward that highest priority project, even if it’s just ten or twenty extra minutes, until it’s done. You spend your time as if you’re spending money to pay off a debt. The payment of that debt is the finished project. Ta-Da!

Welcome to the Time Budget.

I’m super excited to experiment more with this idea, and I want to share it with you as well. I’ve already tried it for one project.

My friend and I were tossing ideas around for each of our short story ideas that we wanted to enter in the same contest. Originally, I’d been sporadically working on the story on Saturdays, but my friend proposed that we finish the Rough Drafts of our stories in one week, then reconvene for feedback. I knew I was already busy with commitments that I couldn’t break, but I said I’d do it. I dropped all my other writing projects—critiquing, blogging, and novel revision. I flung all my spare time at my short story, including the twenty minutes I had in the mornings after I was ready for work, before I had to leave the house. I set myself the goal of writing 800 words per day for 5 days, to reach the contest’s 4,000-word limit. My Time Budget looked like this:

Guess what?

At the end of the week, I had completed a 3800-word short story. I did it, even when I didn’t think I could.

You can too! Even if you cut out everything just to work on one thing, it is still a discipline, and it’s one that you can move forward on and see progress in.

Now that I’ve completed those projects, I can re-prioritize the chart to match my new deadlines and jobs.

Below is a Time Budget template that I’ve created for you. Download it and fill in each of your projects in order of their priority and then give every bit of extra time to that piece until it’s done. Watch your wordcount build and your projects get completed. :D

I’d love to read and answer your questions. And if this Time Budget works for you, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!

Ready? Set? Write!

“I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.”― Steven Wright




Comments


Popular Posts