Story Building (Part XI): rewritten



Although we’ve reached the end of the Story Building series, I’ve only given you snippets of all the pieces that it takes to draft a story. I’ve left some out. I’ve probably forgotten some. And there are some that I’ve yet to learn. Before I end the series, however, I want to address one more thing that every writer (yes, even awarded bestsellers) must do if they want to be good.

“Good stories are not written, they are rewritten.” Phyllis A. Whitney

Revision or rewriting can seem like a cruel concept of endless writing and no accomplishment. You just finished your rough draft; now it’s time to go through, add seven scenes, delete chapter 4, and rewrite half of the MC’s dialogue because it’s cheesy. You finish draft 2. And you realize that it’s still not much better than the rough draft. So, you start draft 3. And as near as you can tell, draft 70 might not even get you where you want to be.

So, what’s the point? Why bother revising at all?

Because your work can always be better.

Doesn’t that mean you’ll never stop writing the same project then?

No. Obviously, people would never publish if they kept picking at their stories. But as an author, especially if you haven’t been writing long, you are constantly learning and strengthening yourself in your craft. Your rough draft is always rough. Writing takes practice. As you work, your rough drafts will get continually stronger and hopefully need less revision as you grow.

Besides, revision is fun (for me). It takes less brainpower than drafting because you already have a story to work with.

But where do you start?

First, take a few weeks break from your rough draft. Don’t touch it, read your favorite part, or think about it for at least six weeks. (Okay, nothing magical about that number, that’s just what several authors advise). Take eight weeks, if you want. But stay away from the story for a minimum of six weeks.

If possible, give your work to someone who will give you 100% honest feedback. And be careful. I have some friends (who I love with all my heart) who think that all my work is great and emotionally charged. They may genuinely love my story. But if their feedback is mostly positive, I know it’s probably just them that love it so much. I would do well to get another opinion too. Try to get more than one critic to read, and if you only have one, try to pick someone who will give you well-rounded positive and constructive criticism.

After your break is over, read through the whole manuscript with an honest eye, like you’re reading it for the first time. Mark what you like, what you don’t like, and why. Mark plot holes, stuff that needs fixing or research, and notate goals for the next draft.

I typically rewrite the second draft quickly, working on cutting bad dialogue and building up the “interesting” level (i.e. the action in the beginning, adding conflict, etc.). I also apply the critiques I received on the rough draft.

Good character development doesn’t usually roll around for me until the third draft. Here is where I begin to really get to know the characters, their personality and voice, motivations, fears, etc. I begin writing from that point of view. Those aspects begin to affect the way the story is told, as well as fuel the logic for why the characters do what they do. It gets really fun, because I begin to know my characters deeply and they become more human and independent from me. Here is where I also add large scenes or chapters where needed to fill in some of the gaps, work on showing more and telling less, and build description. Also, I apply any critiques received on draft 2.

When I feel stuck and don’t know where to go, I try to get more feedback. Someone else’s thoughts always open doors of opportunity. Research does the same thing. Even a little bit will open your eyes to things you didn’t know before and give you ideas.

How do you know when you’re done? Deep down, you know your work could always be better. But if you don’t know where it could be better, if you’ve done your best, maybe then is the time to send it to a publisher. They’ll probably reject your manuscript, but that’s okay. Sometimes you just have to take that next step.

Leave your questions or comments below and happy writing!


“Half my life is an act of revision.” – John Irving

Comments


Popular Posts