The Power of Weak



By Christian Tacci; One Year Adventure Novel Summer Workshop 2019 student speaker speech; used with permission


There was a young kid who did not know how to read until eight years old. He struggled with spelling and to this day as an adult will spend many minutes looking hard at a page trying to solve how to spell a word before daring to ask for help. Two years ago, he dared to try to start his own novel and now all he has to show for it is pages of misspelled words and incorrect grammar that makes up only part of a rough outline. Some of you may think of him as a failure; maybe you pity the kid. Sometimes I do myself.

But there is more to his story. Four people have changed his life. One showed him that no matter what, you always give your best. It’s okay to make mistakes as long as you get back up and learn how to do better so next time you can win. The other showed him to never give a halfhearted effort no matter what the job or task. He taught him how to win in the small things because that’s all that matters if you want to win in the big things. Another showed him to always step forward with a smile on his face no matter what the situation around him, because this world is dark, and it needs hope when all seems hopeless. The last person told him to never hold back, to tell the story he wanted to tell, and not worry about getting all the grammar, words and phrases right but to just focus on telling his story. So today I am telling you my story. I was and am that kid.

 As a kid, I struggled with lots of things that other kids had no problem with. I felt stupid every time I fell, and sometimes I just felt it would be better to not get up. I didn’t understand how I could ever be worth anything. How could I live my dreams when I was weak and struggled with things as simple as spelling and reading? I had dreams of how I was going to change the world. Some were farfetched others were small and innocent. But all seemed unattainable.

But then God put four people in my life who changed me and gave me hope to see that I can change the world. Maybe I am frail because God wanted me to reach those who were just like me. Maybe the tough guy wasn’t what people needed? Maybe they needed someone who was just as scared and weak as them but was willing to share his weakness.

Having someone to cheer me on when I made a mistake helped me get up and move forward with new vigor. Knowing I had someone who was looking at me, not for my failures, but expected excellence in the small things, taught me to quit obsessing over what the big picture was about and to work on making the little pieces perfect. With that came excellence in many big things. Having someone who believed I could and told me just by a smile, gave me hope to smile in the face of hardship. When I smiled in the face of hardship, I came out stronger than ever before. Someone who told me my story was worth telling made me realize maybe I could change the world. What if my story was what this world needed to hear?

Whenever I needed them, they were there to tell me the truth. They did not tell me what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear. They were there when I failed and won, all the time being there for me. When we talked, they talked to me just like a friend while telling me the things I needed to move on and do better in. Sometimes it wasn’t easy but because it was not easy, I knew they cared because it was just as hard for them to say as it was for me to hear.

These people showed me that simple things are what change the world, because these four simple things are what changed my world.

We all have weaknesses. I don’t know what yours is. Maybe your struggling with depression, an addiction, or a broken relationship. Whatever you may be going through right now—whatever it is—don’t be ashamed of it but use it to reach those around you. You will never know what will impact others, so be bold and follow the example of those who have changed your life.

I don’t know what God’s got planned for you or me, but I do know that He often uses the little things to impact us the most. He uses weakness. He wants to use your weakness.

So, let Him and go be the change.


You will never know what will impact others, so be bold and follow the example of those who have changed your life.

Comments


Popular Posts