When You Run Out of Ink



How do you deal with the times when you feel like you’re supposed to be writing…and you just can’t? Or you have zero motivation? Or you want to write, but when you sit down the words won’t come? Or you’ve written two novels, run a blog on writing, and wonder why you’re suddenly having so much trouble writing/getting motivated/having thoughts, etc.?

I’ve been going through a dry spell of writing since May. It’s not that I don’t want to write; I just can’t seem to find either the words or the energy. I’ve told myself that it doesn’t matter. I’m supposed to write, whether it’s easy or not. I’m supposed to stay disciplined. I’m supposed to write whether I’m drowning in inspiration or licking at a rusted, trickling pipe.

But it’s not working. I’ve beat myself up over it a bit, trying to figure out what’s wrong with me. Why am I having so much trouble? Is my love for writing fading? That thought has scared me. Am I letting fear of not being perfect hold me back?

And then, a very welcome realization came to me. This isn’t the first time this has happened. I had just forgotten. For several months spanning 2016 and 2017, I faced a similar “dryness.” I put off working on revisions. I didn’t have the brainpower or motivation. I felt stuck. I felt guilty for not working on my novel. I finally forced out a draft, but I hated my book.

And then I started a new story that I fell in love with, worked on it for three drafts, and put it away to settle for a while. And now I find myself stuck in another writing desert, where the words won’t come.

But now, I realize that’s okay. This has happened before. It’s temporary. My brain just needs a break. The excitement will come back. The words will come again. I just need to wait awhile and not feel guilty for it. I can do art, go on a trip, get out, not write. And while I wait, I can anticipate the story that will come.

When have you faced a writing drought? What helped you refresh and move out of it?

Comments


Popular Posts