Lessons Through Writing



By Abigail Blomberg, used with permission

This week, I’ve chosen to feature a goodbye post by one of my friends, Abigail Blomberg, as she retired from a young writers’ online forum…

It seems like forever, but such a short time ago that I joined the forum as thirteen-year-old little me. I knew I liked to write, but I had no idea how. I wish I had time to write a long farewell and name every individual who has impacted me, but college life and sports limit my time greatly, so instead I will leave you with these last words of lessons I have learned through writing before I bid you farewell. In short…

Don’t use writing as a mask

On the internet, it’s easy to hide behind a mask of who you are or behind your style of writing. But don’t. Writing is the best way to put yourself into words, true words, and not be afraid to say the hard things. Don’t be afraid to break away from the norm popular trends of writing style and stereotypical characters. This is your story. Your world. Only you can put your story into the words just so, that it will bring it to life and shine light upon your theme.

Use writing as a guide and a reflection of life, not an escape from it

Don’t use writing as an escape from reality, but let it help you discover actuality. I express my thoughts well on paper, it helps the deep, deep emotions locked in the depths of my hurt, It helped me reflect upon the joys and sort out the confusion and sorrows.

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school, life was pretty rough. Though I didn’t realize it at the time, I began to use my writing to hide from reality, from the hard things of life. It was my escape. I shut out the real world and all its pain and focused on creating my world. My character was timid, like me, but she was courageous to face problems. Courageous to keep going. That’s who I wanted to be, but I wasn’t…that’s because I never stepped out from behind my screen to face the real world.

I was using my own writing as a comfort, instead of spending more time in God’s inspired and infallible Word. His word that is sufficient for all things. “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16. Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Never forget that God’s Word is sufficient for training us in righteousness. It is our Map. His word is our sword. His Word brings us light in the darkness and hope in our deepest despair. Never forget that, dear friends. He IS the WORD. The Word of LIFE (see the book of 1 John. It’s incredible!)

Live life in the real world, meet real allies, be taught by real mentors, and develop your own character. Let God write your story by using these people and circumstances to mold your character…and in turn, take those lessons and weave them into your stories. God uses those trials of life to shape us and mold us, just as we bring our beloved characters through the Black Moment to prepare them for the Showdown. Those trials bring much more hope and satisfaction when the Denouement comes.

If you don’t live in reality, then you cannot bring reality to your story. Live real life to the full, dear friends, and share what you have learned by weaving its intricate details into your story.

In closing…

Write for Him, dear friends. Writing for self will never truly satisfy in the end. Use that incredible talent that God has given you and use it for His glory. Use it as a tool of hope. Use it as a declaration of justice. Let it bring that word of comfort—that lamp that shines forth truth. Use it as praise for the freedom and forgiveness Christ has freely given (not by anything we have done, but out of His love for us [Titus 3:5]).

Though growing up has its challenges, He is faithful. He always has been. He always will be.

Use that incredible talent that God has given you and use it for His glory.


Comments


Popular Posts