Swearing in Christian Novels: my view and why



First, I want to say what I’m about to say in a gentle way. I don’t want to seem arrogant or like I’m trying to be better than any of you. This is something that bothers me, however, and maybe it can help you decide what you should do in your writing. Also, I’m not talking to non-Christian authors. If you aren’t a Christian and you find what I’m saying is helpful, by all means keep reading, but I’m talking to those who claim the name of Christ.

The Question

Something I’ve seen floating around in the past is the question of whether one should, as a Christian author, put language into their novel. I don’t know about you, but when I sit down to read a book (which is not very often, ironically), I don’t want to read a bunch of swearing.
I know that I’m not the only one who is bothered by it, and there are some young people who aren’t allowed—or would prefer not—to read it. As an acquaintance said, he isn’t allowed to read swearing, and it’s difficult for him to find clean books written for his age group. In fact, it was him saying that that pushed me to write this post.
It’s one thing to pick up a book by a secular author and read language, but it’s another to read a novel by a Christian and to suddenly need to put up a guard. Personally, I’m more apt to watch movies or read books by Christians, rather than secular ones, so that I can enjoy the entertainment without feeling I should put it down or walk away. So, when I pick up a book by an author who professes to be Christian (meaning “Christ follower” or “little Christ”) I don’t want to be hit with a curse word or phrase. I shouldn’t be.

Set apart. Different.

Jesus prayed that those who follow Him would be sanctified (set apart) by His truth. “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” John 17:17. Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
As little Christs, we are to be set apart and different from the world around us. When He calls us to, “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers” (Eph. 4:29. Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.), don’t you think that applies to writing too?

If our words in writing look no different than the world’s, how are we different than the world? How are we set apart? Even if the character using the language isn’t a Christian, you’re the one putting the words in his or her mouth. Yes, characters should be their own people, but you are still the author. When God tells us, “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God,” (1 Corinthians 10:31 Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.) we could go ahead and add “write” in there too. The “glory of God” means causing Him to be worshiped by people from every tribe, tongue, and culture.

Is your story causing God to be worshiped, especially with language in it? Is it bringing Him honor?

I’m not asking for a story with a gospel message, or a Christian character. I wrote a futuristic short story that says nothing about God, but it’s still clean.

But what about reality?

I admit that I’ve grown up in the church my whole life, most of my friends until recently have been Christians, so I haven’t been exposed to people who swear all the time. So, when I go to the barn, visit family, or am around non-Christians in general, there is obviously more cursing than I’m used to. It’s the way a lot of people talk, but it feels foreign to me.
If you’re trying to bring a level of reality to your book through it, yes, it’s realistic. But if a non-Christian reads your book without language, do you think they’ll walk away disappointed saying, “Oh man, I wish there was more swearing in the book”? Maybe. I know some people have complained about movies being “too clean.” Maybe they’ll feel it wasn’t realistic, especially if it was a story that takes place in a world (i.e. the military) that does have a lot of swearing. Then again, maybe they won’t notice. They’ll just remember how good of a story it was.

In my first novel, the main character is a Vietnam War infantryman. In the military, there is tons of language, but I didn’t feel like I could write it into my story with a clear conscience. In this case, what else could I focus on in the war place aside from the language? In fact, it makes sense for my MC not to swear, because he is trying to be better than everyone around him. Why would he be just like them?
And what if you do put swearing in the novel? A Christian reader picks it up, knowing it’s by a Christian author, and they’re disappointed. The novel leaves a sour memory. “It would have been a terrific book, except for the language.” That’s true of me. There are a lot of movies and books that I watch or read that would be excellent…except for the language. And it ruins it for me.
That’s one thing I love about The Lord of the Rings. There’s none of that. Those are excellent books and movies that are loved worldwide, and they’re clean.

What about implications?

I’m hesitant about this too. Putting the first letter, and then bleeping out the rest with asterisks isn’t much different than putting the word itself. People are smart. They fill the word in in their mind.

What’s the big deal?

There are some wonderful books that I used to read about a British veterinarian in the 1930s and ’40s. The stories were hilarious, sweet, and some of them were sad. I loved them. But they were chocked full of cursing. Those books had delightful story content, and I would still read them…if they were clean. I haven’t read those books in over four years, but I still struggle with mental cursing. Those books helped to ruin my mind, and it makes me sad.
Language can be detrimental to people. Don’t make them sacrifice story for safety. Give them a novel that they can enjoy through and through.
I don’t know this for sure but based on my earlier example of The Lord of the Rings, non-Christian readers probably won’t care whether your book has language. Christian readers probably will, and if they don’t, they should. We are to be set apart, and if we pump ourselves and our work full of something so common in the world, how are we different?

Is there another way to portray it?

How can you represent the bad without being too detailed? Why is the character using it? Is it because he’s angry or afraid? How could you portray those feelings aside from language? Are you just taking the lazy way by using language? What could you focus on instead?
So those are my thoughts. Hopefully I didn’t come across as too preachy and arrogant. Just pray about it. Ask God to show you what He wants, and He’ll direct you. Thanks for reading.
Don’t make them sacrifice story for safety.

Comments

  1. This was a great break-down! I love hearing your thoughts about this, and I completely agree. It's so hard to get those words out of your mind, and that's the worst part. Proud of your Christian perspective in writing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment


Popular Posts