Penning Poems



I find poetry a both pleasurable and powerful form of writing. It tends to be a rare art form in the public outside of music (songs are often just rhymes set to melody), although many writers still practice it. Whether you write poetry, have an interest in trying it, or are looking for a new way to stretch yourself, here are some tips to this writing style.

1.      Pick a subject and make it clear.

Narrowing focus is essential. Writing is supposed to be art, but having no topic isn’t enjoyable. It becomes difficult to write and trying to understand it is like looking at a page of scribbles. I suggest picking something that fills you with passion. Also, make your subject clear. Let people use their powers of deduction and go ahead and play with understatement, but make sure that people know what they’re reading.

2.      Establish a pattern.

I like to write a few lines to get a pattern flowing, and then stick with that structure for the rest of the poem.

The pattern doesn’t have to be limited to the beat and words. It can be the way you style the poem as well. In my spoken word poetry piece, Unforgotten (which covers nine major American wars), I used the first four lines of each verse to paint a picture with the words, and the next four lines to talk about a famous historical event or quote. The two lines next to each other rhyme:

“Darkness cloaks the streets;
A fife and drumroll beats.
Firm footsteps march the cobblestone;
Voices speak in silenced tones.
‘Give me liberty, or give me death,’
Said countless with their final breath
For freedom dies without death,
Thus heroes fall to f’ever rest…”

In Black Anchor, I truly focused on telling a story through painting pictures. The last 2/3 of the poem takes an unusual turn and shifts to a second person point-of-view.

3.      Find rhyming words.
I’m not much for free verse, and so I like to make my rhythm consistent and the words rhyme. I am told that there are places online that give lists of words that rhyme, but I go the old-fashioned, no internet route. Say I’m trying to rhyme with “stone.” I write out the alphabet (ABCDEFG…) and then go down the list in my head. “Aone, bone, cone, etc.” Pushing yourself to make it rhyme often forces you to choose words that help express your concept in a new way that becomes more emotive and meaningful for both you and your reader.

4.      Paint pictures.
      Communicating in pictures with your words makes the poem come alive.

Something about putting words into a flowing pattern beautifies the content and makes what you’re communicating more powerful. The rhythm and rhyme patterns also make the poem stick in peoples’ minds and they become memorable.

Have fun!


What could you write that would be more powerful in the form of poetry?

Comments


Popular Posts