Get After It: impossible dreams



“You don’t have a chance [getting traditionally published] and I’ll tell you why.” That’s what the lady—who I’ll call Sue—told me. Word for word.

Sue was an agent for a small self-publisher who specializes in helping new authors through the first-time publishing and marketing process.

Before I go further, let me establish that she was a kind, relaxed, and friendly woman. She answered all my questions and did a lot of listening. Let me also say that I don’t expect to get traditionally published right away. I expect rejection letters. I currently have two. I expect to receive feedback that hurts.

But when Sue told me that, my radar went up. Her reasons why were as follows:
Houses don’t like authors without a literary agent, and they won’t even look at anything with religion. You might get a nice rejection letter, you might not get anything. They also expect you to have social media presence, 5000 Facebook followers, and Twitter, etc. They expect you to bring your own audience.

Okay. Thanks for the feedback; now I know where I need to be. When I stop to think about it, none of those things are reasons to not try getting traditionally published.
1)      Just because I don’t have a literary agent now, doesn’t mean I can never get one. I annually go to a writer’s conference and can speak with publishers, authors, and agents alike.

2)      They won’t look at anything with religion? The Steve Laube Agency has helped a lot of Christian authors get traditionally published. And besides, I don’t expect to get accepted right away.

3)      Lack of social media presence isn’t the end of the world either. Just because I didn’t have social media at the time of the conversation didn’t mean I could never get it. I’ve got an Instagram account with a small following now. If it grows, great.

4)      As was taught at a Flourish Writer’s online conference, being published often counts on three things from an author:
i. A good Concept
ii. You being good at your Craft, and
iii. You bringing a Crowd.

The three Cs. Excelling at two of those things can often boost the third. For example, maybe you have a great concept and are great at writing, but, like me, only have a small following. Sometimes publishers will still take a look at you despite that small social media presence.

Another person told me to wait on my dream for serving military. Wait until I’m older, they said.

People mean well. They’re being realistic. I so appreciate their feedback, helping me to see where I need to plan, what I need to work on, etc.

But unfortunately, instead of telling me, “This is where you are, and that is where you need to be. Let me help you get there,” they essentially say, “Because you’re not where you need to be right now, you’ll never get there.”

Isn’t it good news that that’s not true?

If you’ve got a big dream, be it publishing traditionally, starting a business or ministry of sorts, or seeing military suicides stamped out, whatever it is, realize it’s not impossible no matter how big and crazy it is. Just because you aren’t there yet doesn’t mean you’ll never get there. Don’t buy the lies, friend.

I have two book recommendations for you. Dream Big, by Todd Wilson, and Start, by Jon Acuff.

Accept feedback, but don’t let it defeat you from winning. It might take a heck of a lot of work. It might take a lot of years. But it’s not impossible. Start now with small steps. One by one. They add up. Get after it, ya’ll. :)

And now, enjoy this song by for King and Country.

“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments


Popular Posts