Writing Garbage



Last week in Trying Too Hard, I wrote about the power of showing instead of telling. I talked about preachy stories and how they can turn people off. I encouraged you as an author to back off a bit and trust the readers to figure out what you’ve shown them, instead of you spelling it all out.

And so now you’re thinking about that. And you’re also thinking about how you want to write well. And it’s quite possibly terrifying. Because that’s how I feel.

There’s this pressure to “get it right” on the first try. There’s also the knowledge that the chances of that are…not good. We want so badly to write well that we don’t want to see ourselves write anything bad. And so, we freeze up.

But as many authors have wisely said, “It’s better to write something bad than to not write at all.”

If we get something down on paper, we can always come back and edit it. At least we’ll have something to edit.

Fear is a normal thing for writers, but we can’t let it control us. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be authors—we couldn’t be if we didn’t write anything.

Last week during revisions, I replaced a scene that no longer fit in Lionel of Angrasté: Assassin of Love, but I spent hours working on one page. I felt like what I was trying to write was going to turn out like a scene stuck in solely for plot. I hesitated to write the new scene because of the compliments I’d received on the old one, but I knew the old scene didn’t fit anymore. It took me a while to realize why it was taking me so long. It wasn’t that the scene was tough. It wasn’t that it had to be thousands of words long. But trying to get the words out on a single page was taking forever for no apparent reason.

I was afraid. I was afraid to write something cliché, something that felt like it was just for the plot, and something that wouldn’t turn out as good as what I had before. When I realized that I was scared, it helped. I then knew I had to quit procrastinating and to just. write. it. Realizing my fear gave me a wall to break down.

C.J. Cherryh said, “It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly.”

I like that quote. It gives us freedom to write bad, but then reminds us that it’s not okay to stay there. We’ve always got to work toward something better. It also makes me think that maybe Cherryh said that for self-encouragement, to overcome personal fear and insecurity in writing.

It’s okay to be afraid, so long as you keep going. We’re all afraid to write at some point. It’s okay to write trash. You’ve got to have something to edit brilliantly. :)

Read more on fear in writing:

“The waste basket is the writer's best friend.” – Isaac Bashevis Singer
...

Comments


Popular Posts