Disciplined, Not Obsessed; Focused, Not Isolated



Writing is a great hobby, has wonderful community, and can be life-changing for both the author and reader. But it can hold dangers and/or consequences.

Every week, I encourage you to stick to your writing, to push through when it’s hard, et cetera, et cetera, you’ve heard me say it a million times. But anything, even good things, can become destructive without balance.

For example, drinking water is great. Drinking enough is essential. But taking in too much too fast can result in flushing the electrolytes (salts) out of one’s body and can make you sick. You need the salt just as much as you need the water.

In the same way, we need to balance writing with everyday life. Discipline needs to stay as such and keep from becoming an obsession. Being focused is not the same thing as isolating yourself.

I love writing. I’m also an introvert. It’s easy for me to choose writing as a substitute for talking, screen time instead of group time, or being alone over socializing. But lately, I’ve begun to realize what I’m missing.

I have a brother and best pal who is graduating and might not be around for much longer to just “hang out.” I have three adorable nephews who are growing up too fast. I have sisters who want to spend time with me.

What am I trading those things out for?

Writing is good and it has a place. But I need to rearrange my priorities in a way that has what’s most important at the top. People. Family. Friends.

Quality time with others matters. Community is essential to survival. People do need and want you and your presence. Don’t hide away. Making memories and knowing you didn’t miss out on the most important, small moments in life for your own personal preference is essential. Don’t live with regrets.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do…” – Mark Twain.

I talk about “writing to change lives,” but what does that mean if I’m not actively living toward that end? You can always judge a person better by what he does over what he says.

So, live your life in a way that’s worth living. Balance your love and discipline to your craft with the flexibility to realize what may be more important at a given moment. Be willing to sacrifice. You’ll be happy you did.

“If you have other things in your life—family, friends, good productive day work—then these can interact with your writing and the sum will be all the richer.” – David Brin.

Is your writing life out of balance with your people life? Where do you need to re-prioritize?

Comments


Popular Posts