Story Building (Part III): saving the Shire




In Story Building (Part I): the foundation, I outlined the basics of a story as partly learned from the One Year Adventure Novel, and in Story Building (Part II): coloring in silhouettes, I kickstarted you on your way to developing a Main Character. Today, we’ll talk about what most people would call “the plot.” I will refer to it as I was taught because that gives more of a clear mental picture of what we’re shooting for: the story goal.

The story goal is what your story is about. When we strip away the subplots and action, it’s the one main thing we mention when summing up someone’s story. It’s what we imagine happening at the end. Narnians reclaim their country from the Telmarines (Prince Caspian); Hassan Kadam earns a Michelin star (The Hundred Foot Journey); Velvet Brown wins the Grand National (National Velvet); Frodo Baggins saves the Shire (The Lord of the Rings).

It is ultimately the thing that your Main Character (MC) is working toward, even if he himself doesn’t want it at first. Often, the MC does want the story goal at the beginning, but if he doesn’t, something big will need to happen to convince him of his need to achieve that goal.

For example, Velvet Brown wants to race in the Grand National. And she does. That hero is on the same page (no pun intended) as the audience.

However, Frodo Baggins specifically says that he wishes the ring had never come to him. He wishes he “had not lived to see such times.” But Frodo sees the ring’s divisive power at the Council of Elrond, and so he knows he must destroy it. Destroying the ring and saving his world is bigger than what he personally wants. Ultimately, his personal goal and the overall story goal intertwine. It’s because of what Merry says to Pippin when Pippin suggests going home to the Shire. Merry tells his friend, if Sauron gets that ring, there won’t be a Shire.

So, what is your story’s goal? What do we want to happen at the end of your story?

Start mulling over some ideas. Think about the stories you like to read, or the stories you want to see written. That’s something I’ve asked my family before: “What’s something you’ve always wanted to read?”

Look around for ideas. I’ve gotten a bunch just from simple observation, things that pique my curiosity, or things I enjoy. For example, my dad has a 1940s telephone, and I’ve often wondered what conversations transpired over that phone. I combined that question with an attempt of simulating the storytelling styles of old movies that take place in one room like Arsenic and Old Lace or (though I’ve yet to see it) Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window. That combination resulted in Mute, my latest short story—a 1990s murder mystery from the point of view of a payphone.

My friend once told me about war horses that were trained to lie down so that soldiers could shoot from behind them, and that started the excitement for my next planned novel, Heart: Friend Through Fire, set in WWI.

Austin Kleon, author of Steal Like an Artist, says to make the art you want to see. Write the stories you want to read.

True, what you write will not turn out how you originally imagined. In some ways, it will probably be worse, but never starting means that your idea will never have a chance to even be real. And in some ways, it will be better than you originally planned. So, give it a try. I’ve written some awful stuff. I still write awful stuff. I’ve written good stuff. But at least I have stuff. I can always modify it.

Whatever you choose to make your story about, make sure that we as the audience want it too. Make it hold weight for us. Make us care about it through making it worth something, by making it have a cost, not only to the MC, but also to us.

Next week, we’ll dig into that value holder: sacrifice.

That wraps it up for today. Comment below and share what your favorite stories are and why, ask questions, or share your own story idea. And if you don’t have one, comment anyway and I’ll help you get started. :) You have a story worth telling.

“The only rule I have found to have any validity in writing is not to bore yourself.” – John Mortimer

Comments


Popular Posts