Created (Part I): if passion is a purpose




Before, during, and after my high school graduation year, I wrestled with the lie that God would not call me to something I loved doing. I felt anything worth doing would be something I hated. In my mind, God probably wanted me to give up writing, passion for animals, and head into something more directly spiritual. Maybe He’d send me to Africa as a missionary, because that’s what everyone talks about not wanting to do. People never say Norway. It’s always Africa. But I digress.

In my mind, the things I loved had no value to anyone but me. I’d forgotten God made me with those passions. I’d forgotten maybe those passions had a purpose behind them. I forgot maybe it was okay to love doing what God planned for me. I’d forgotten maybe He could make me so I would love His plan.

In spring of 2019, I began considering my passions more seriously, looking to combine them all into one. I like animals, especially dogs and horses, enjoy writing, and have a huge heart for serving veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I decided perhaps I could combine them all into one: using arts and trauma healing (ATH) with writing as a part of that and equine therapy to assist veterans and first responders heal from PTSD.

That’s what I’m working toward now. Starting a ranch or facility that does all three. And you know what? Each of those things is something I’m intensely passionate about. And you know what else? I’ve seen God paving the way for me to do this. He keeps pointing me to the next step. He keeps showing me, yes, this is what I’m supposed to do.

This isn’t something I hate. It’s something I love. It’s uncomfortable and scary at times, but there’s a fire there that keeps me moving through the unknown. And each of those passions, when combined, has put me on a path that God keeps confirming I’m supposed to be on.

So, what if your passions are your compass? What if they point you to the plan God has for you? What if following the fire in you means you’re following the fire God put in you? What if, instead of ignoring the things you love, or feeling guilty for them, you recognize them as God’s gift to you to grow closer to Him as you pursue your gifts and passions?

I’ve noticed people will be more effective at something they love doing than something they hate. That seems kind of obvious, but when something is backed by joy, you will put your whole heart into what you do. Jesus loved doing His Father’s will. He didn’t complain about it or feel forced. He did it willingly. Paul had a fire to minister to the Gentiles. David wrote poetry, not because God forced him to, but because he found a way to worship God through the art. Sure, God called Jonah to do something he didn’t want to do and that didn’t go so well, but time after time we see people in the Bible who loved doing the work they did. Jeremiah couldn’t help but talk to his people and tell them what God was saying; he described it as a fire burning at his bones when he kept silent. What fire has God put in your bones that will burn you by keeping it in?

Ask Him to grow the dreams and passions that are from Him and let the other ones die away. See what He’ll do. It might surprise you.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.” – Mark Twain

Comments


Popular Posts