Created (Part II): embracing the joy



Last week, I wrote about the idea that perhaps God is the originator of the passions in you. Maybe He placed them there, for you to do what He planned for you. I hope I’m not preaching a prosperity God or promoting the “just follow your heart” ideology. There will be suffering in this world. There will be difficult times. There will be times where you don’t love the things you do. But, again, as I mentioned, the things we do must have intense joy, passion, and fire behind them to be deeply effective.

Why would God give us passions if He doesn’t want us to use them? Perhaps He wants us to place them in His hands, to step back, to love Him more than the gifts He’s given us. But perhaps, also, He’s given them to us to do great things for Him.

Over the past year, I’ve been learning to become comfortable with the idea that God might just be okay with me using His gifts to serve Him. To use my practical gifts for a more eternal purpose. I’ve caught myself becoming excited about the idea, and then taking steps to pursue it, only to hesitate. I’ve seen other people use their gifts and have a huge impact. But something nags at me, even though I’ve seen God clearly point me to be where I am, doing what I love.

Something tells me, “It’s okay for those people to do what they love…but not you.”

The joy goes out of it. And I again wonder if I’m doing what I’m supposed to.

Do you relate? Do you ever get that mindset where you believe something solidly…for someone else? Even if the thing is truth, but you can’t believe it for yourself? I do.

So, here’s where I get to tell you and myself, it’s okay. If you can believe it for someone else, it’s time to believe it for yourself. Because if we can’t believe it for ourselves, how effective is it really when we say we believe it for someone else?

I feel like I’m talking over myself now, but I think you understand what I’m trying to say. It’s okay to be excited about doing what you love. It’s okay for others, and it’s okay for you.

Don’t feel guilty for loving what you do, for doing what you love if God’s confirmed that’s where you’re supposed to be. Run with it. And be glad that you have a God big enough to use the things you love for His Story.

Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about. – Winston Churchill

Comments


Popular Posts