When “Inspired” Gets Tired



“I just need some inspiration.”
“I got so inspired when I wrote that scene and it came out great.”
“I’ve had no inspiration for the past week. I’m stuck.”
I don’t know what inspiration is. I don’t know where it comes from. That’s not to say I haven’t had my great moments of it; it’s just that I don’t know what kicks it on. Maybe it’s a break. Maybe it’s because of hours of mulling over the plot tangle that suddenly makes it clear. I’m not sure. It’s fun, though. You’ve got nothing and then your brain decides to give you the epic chase scene, the perfect words for the argument, or the steps needed to get from a to b.
But sometimes young writers talk about inspiration like it’s necessary to writing. The thing is, “inspiration” isn’t the norm. Most of the time inspiration likes to lie around snoozing, and we like to wait for it to wake up.
More practiced writers don’t necessarily experience it more than novices, but they still manage to crank out the words. It’s because they work hard. They set their minds to it. And they write. Maybe it’s a little, maybe it’s a lot, but they still write.
“…there’s no point in waiting for so-called blissful moments, for inspiration; if it comes, so much the better – but you keep working anyway.” – Ivan Turgenev
Writing without an epiphany is harder, yes, but it’s not impossible.
Writing is possible at any time, if you determine to do it. I’ve said it time and again that “writer’s block, or “lack of inspiration” is usually just a cover for more underlying problems. (Inspired by A Block of Cheese)
You’ve got to be able to deal with those problems and when you can, you can write whether inspiration is awake or not.
Inspiration is the writer’s best friend. Good friends are hard to come by.
“I write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at nine o’clock every morning.” – Peter De Vries

Comments


Popular Posts