Story Building (Part IX): dialogue



Ya’ll, dialogue is one of my favorite things to write. It gives opportunity to reveal character motives, fears, and personality through showing (in speech), rather than telling.

Take care you don’t use dialogue as an opportunity for info dumps from one character to another, especially if it’s information they both know, i.e. “Mr. Frodo, we’ve been on this journey to Mordor for seventeen days now. I sure do miss the Shire where we used to live, and I was your gardener.” Yeah. Anyway.

Like mentioned before, dialogue is a great way to reveal character desire and motivations. But real people often don’t say what they want, especially if that thing is deep or personal. I made the mistake of writing lengthy, passionate paragraphs of dialogue from my MC in my first novel, in which he stated exactly what he wanted in the clearest, most preachy, unrealistic way he could. He spelled everything out for the reader to understand. He bared his heart in the first chapter. And he talked for sentences on end. Real people don’t do that.

Readers like to have the chance to figure things out. They like solving mysteries. Herein lies the fun of writing dialogue: figuring out how to subtly give readers what they need.

Here are some tips/techniques to consider when writing dialogue:

1.      Personality. How do your characters sound distinct from each other? What words, phrases, or style of speech does each use that distinguishes one from the other? Don’t overdo pet phrases/words, else it will become noticeable as a technique, not a believable style of speech.

2.      Masked. People don’t usually say what they really feel. When someone asks you, “How are you?” 99% of the time you say, “I’m good.” Are you really?

Have a character reveal traces of his feelings or none. Maybe even the opposite of what he’s feeling. If he’s crushed, have him paste a smile on his face, laugh, and talk. I’ve done that in real life. Drop hints of what’s going on, but don’t give it to us in one chunk. If you provide all the pieces throughout the story, we’ll put the puzzle together ourselves.

People don’t say what they mean either. I think it’s self-preservation. They mislead or understate. My mom asked me recently if I’d like to go on a weekend trip. I wanted to go. But I told her, “I don’t know.”

How will your character protect himself by not saying what he means?

3.      Evasion. One of my favorite things to do is have a character evade or not answer a question from another character. Instead, he says something that answers the question indirectly or he avoids it completely with some new speech:

“Even the dark frightens me.” The prince snickered, but shame filled his eyes. “I act like a child.”
Lionel swallowed and gathered the courage to risk a little further. “I never told you that fire terrifies me.”
“What?” The prince laughed. “Lionel, why?”
Lionel shrugged the cloak closer around his neck. “And you never stop hoping.”

In the last line, Lionel avoids the prince’s question and goes back to a point from earlier in the conversation. I don’t know why I find it so fun to do.

4.      Character Change. Generally, this is better shown through actions, not speech. Who likes when a character monologues about how he has learned and changed so much over the course of the story? But you can have dialogue as part of the showing. For example, in my WIP, Lionel of Angrasté: Assassin of Love, Lionel never calls Prince Erik by name, even though the prince asked him to. Lionel refers to him as “Prince” or “Sir” to his face, and “the Pig” or “Piglet” in the narrative. But by the end of the second third of the book, you see Lionel softening. At last, without me saying, “Lionel opened completely to the Prince and showed he trusted him,” there is this simple line:

Lionel’s heart lifted a bit. “Respect,” he murmured. And then he added softly, “Erik.”

It’s scary, but I’m trusting readers to figure it out. It creates more emotion that way too.

5.      Shorter is better. As fun as writing dialogue is, unless it’s bursting with conflict, I think shorter is better. It depends on the character and situation, but the lengthy chunks of heart-to-heart speech between two males aren’t realistic in my historical fiction WIP, Defending That Which is Not Mine. Also, relying on context to tighten and see how much you can get across in one or two words can be fun.

“How?” the prince’s soft word spoke a carefulness, but not one of fear. Just gentleness.

Lionel nodded slowly, staring into the distance, almost afraid to blink. Afraid to crumble. “ARSOA.” He drew a few shallow breaths and turned to the prince.

6.      Gestures. Body language speaks more than words, and it doesn’t lie. Depend mainly on gestures, rather than dialogue tags or punctuation, to convey if someone is happy, sarcastic, or angry. Look at Boruk in the following example:

Aleksander shrugged and swirled his wine in his cup. “Elikai is silent. Success lies in what you’ve built here.” He lifted his gaze to meet Boruk’s again, his eyes dark and empty like pits above his pronounced cheekbones. “Besides, you can’t take the boy from her, now, even if you told her the truth. He’s like her son.” He lifted the goblet to his lips.

Boruk tightened his jaw and glanced at the sack on the mantle. “I’ll get the boy. Tomorrow.”

Versus:

Boruk shrugged and waved his hand toward Aleksander. “I’ll get the boy.” He belched. “Tomorrow.”

In the first example, Boruk is dark and determined, almost challenging Aleksander to defy his resolve. The second example shows Boruk as carefree and probably drunk. I almost hear a sing-song tone in the second snippet.

If you do a good job with gestures, there’s no need to say, “Boruk looked at the sack on the mantle. ‘I’ll get the boy,’ he said darkly and resolutely. “Tomorrow.”

Also, unless someone is screaming or yelling, don’t use exclamation points to show anger or excitement. Use gestures. It’s more interesting and gives a clearer picture. Besides, editors joke they only want to see one exclamation point per manuscript, so you’d better choose carefully where you want to use it.

7.      Timing. Be careful that the dialogue fits the situation. In my first novel, I routinely made the bad choice for long, deep conversations in potentially bad situations, like marching on patrol. The guys probably shouldn’t be chatting, much less about things that will take their minds off their jobs.

It can be tough to write good dialogue, especially if I’m trying to work in deep plot points without sounding preachy or like I’m accomplishing something for the plot. But I’ve noticed the more time I spend on a section—the harder it is and the harder I work on it—those are usually the best pieces of my book.

So go hit it. :)


What are your favorite things about dialogue? How can you apply the same techniques you enjoy reading to your writing?

Comments


Popular Posts